If you would like to submit a blog post for consideration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Medicinal Cannabis FAQs: Prescribing medicinal cannabis in primary care
[26 min watch] With the launch of our new online Professional Diploma of Medicinal Cannabis program – the first university-reviewed program in medicinal cannabis for doctors in Australia – Dr Joe Kosterich recently held an insightful webinar on the uses and benefits of medicinal cannabis in primary care.
To address the significant number of questions that arose from this webinar, we have compiled a four-part FAQ video series with Dr Kosterich. In the first video in the series, Dr Kosterich answers your most common questions about prescribing medicinal cannabis in primary care (and so much more!).
Watch the full video with Dr Joe Kosterich over on the HealthCert Community at this post. HealthCert alumni are invited to join the HealthCert Community anytime for free.
Just a few of the many questions covered during the FAQ session include:
- What is involved in doctors prescribing medicinal cannabis in Australia?
- How could I become a cannabis prescriber as a GP?
- Can you share a robust and thorough ‘consent form’ appropriate to prescribing CBD in general practice, which would be reasonably ‘HDC-proof’?
- How can patients access cannabinoids in Australia for treating chronic pain?
- I am not intending to become a prescriber but out of curiosity how many medicinal cannabis prescribers are in Australia at present?
- Is a Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor allowed to prescribe CBD?
- Need to know the referral criteria, referral points, gap fee, how the patient will continue to have the prescriptions, legal bindings for GP, switching from opioid techniques, side effects to monitor, effects on anti-depressant and anti-psychotic drugs.
- When will over the counter cannabis products be available in Australian pharmacies?
- Do I need to cancel an existing permit before applying for a new one? How to cancel it?
- Are TGA approvals for specific patients?
- How much does it cost?
- Do we have to apply for each patient before we prescribe?
Learn more about medicinal cannabis in primary care with HealthCert’s NEW online Professional Diploma of Medicinal Cannabis program.
Dr Joe Kosterich is a doctor, speaker, author, media presenter and health industry consultant. Wanting you to be healthy and get the most out of life, Dr Kosterich writes for numerous medical and mainstream publications and is a regular on radio and television. He is often called to give opinions in medico legal cases, is clinical editor of Medical Forum Magazine, adjunct professor (teaching) at UWA and a lecturer at Curtin Medical School. Medical Advisor to Medicinal Cannabis company Little Green Pharma and Chairman of Australian Tobacco Harm Reduction Association, Dr Kosterich has self-published two books: Dr Joe’s DIY Health and 60 Minutes To Better Health, and maintains a website and blog with health information and commentary. Previously he held senior positions in the Australian Medical Association and sat on numerous industry and government boards. He has extensive corporate experience in the setting up and management of medical centres and in helping businesses maintain a healthy workforce. Through all this he continues to see patients as a GP each week.
Watch the original webinar on Medicinal Cannabis with Dr Joe Kosterich here.