If you would like to submit a blog post for consideration, please email admin@healthcert.com

How to Remove a Sebaceous Cyst on the Shin

A lot of conditions requiring surgical intervention can be performed in primary care. In the video below experienced surgeon Maurice Brygel demonstrates how to remove a cyst on the shin.

The highly practical program includes theory and surgical sessions on:

  • Atopic dermatitis
  • Ingrown toenails
  • Foreign bodies
  • Lacerations
  • Lipomas
  • Sebaceous cysts
  • Leg ulcers
  • Abscesses
  • Haemorrhoids & anorectal conditions
  • Advanced suturing

Interested in Clinical procedures?

The majority of conditions requiring surgical intervention can be diagnosed and treated in primary care – if the general practitioner has the skills and confidence to do so. With Medicare rebates remaining low for consultations and the cost of providing medical care increasing, performing clinical procedures in your practice will not only reduce unnecessary referrals to surgeons and public hospitals but will also increase your revenue and make you a referral option for your colleagues.

Clinical Procedures Certificate Courses in Australia

3 comments on “How to Remove a Sebaceous Cyst on the Shin

  1. Don’t even think of draining a sebaceous cyst yourself. You are setting yourself up for a bad infection, possibly even an MRSA or a flesh-eating streptococcus, which might require an amputation or even kill you. Besides, draining the cyst is not the same as excusing it. If you rupture it, it will cause a severe inflammatory reaction, which will either itch or cause pain that won’t go away. The only solution is to find a qualified plastic surgeon, who will completely remove the cyst under sterile conditions. The operation can be performed in the surgeon’s office or as a day-op procedure under local anesthetic. Most surgeons would prefer to have an anesthesiologist knock you out. If you have a small cyst, general anesthesia is not really necessary.

    1. Hi Linda, you’re completely right. Only a qualified doctor should perform this procedure. Thank you for your input.
      Abbie | The HealthCert Team

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *